The Demolished City Hospital
In 1861, the James Renwick, Jr.-designed City Hospital opened to the public. The building was situated directly north of the Smallpox Hospital structure (in today's Southpoint Park) and could house roughly one thousand patients at a time. In 1957, however, the hospital closed and, like the Smallpox Hospital building, fell into great disrepair.
A significant building, both historically and architecturally, the building was included in the National Register of Historic Places. By the early 1990s, the building had fallen into such disrepair that it was deemed unsafe. In 1994 the building was demolished.